OLD TAUNTON COLONY CLUB
All property owners in Taunton Lake are bound by protective covenants that restrict what they can do on their property. These covenants are
commonly called deed restrictions. They were inserted in the deeds issued when the community was originally developed and continue to govern
each successive owner of the property. The deed restrictions vary somewhat in wording from property to property, but listed below are typical
provisions drawn from various deeds. References to the "grantor" refer to the Board of Trustees of the Old Taunton Colony Club.
UNDER AND SUBJECT, however, to the following express covenants, conditions and restrictions, to wit:
- That the above described lands and premises shall be used for purposes of residence only, except as herein otherwise provided; that not more
than one single family dwelling shall be erected on any lot and that the plan of any and all proposed dwellings and the lot plan showing the
proposed location of any such dwelling or dwellings must be submitted to and approval obtained by the grantor before any construction work
commenced. No buildings of any kind shall be built or constructed on said lands and premises without the written approval of the Grantor.
- No buildings shall be occupied after construction until the same have been du1y inspected and approved by the grantor.
- All streets shall be at least 50 feet (in some deeds, 25 feet is stated) wide; no buildings shall be erected less than 25 feet from the street line nor
less than 20 feet from the Lake, nor within five feet of the lands of another owner.
- No live trees of a greater diameter than four inches at the butt shall be cut or destroyed without the written approval of the grantor.
- No business or commercial buildings shall be erected nor any business conducted on any lands and premises within the development known as
Taunton Lakes, except on lots fronting on Berlin Road.
- No sign board of any description may be used, erected or maintained on the premises in question.
- No sewage shall be permitted to drain into the Lake and all cesspools shall be walled and shall be at least 50 feet from the Lake and sanitary
containers for disposal of all garbage and other refuse shall at all times be available and used; all plumbing shall be of standard construction;
unless connected with a public or municipal sewer or disposal plant all toilets must be connected with water tight septic tanks and all drains
shall be connected with cesspools which shall be at least 30 feet from the dwellings erected on the lot and at least 50 feet from the Lake; and all
fireplaces and chimneys must be of standard construction and screened.
- No dwelling house shall be constructed or erected on any lot less than 50 feet in frontage or less than 7500 square feet in area, unless written
approval is first obtained from the grantor.
- No fence higher than four feet, other than a hedge or shrub fence, shall be erected without the written approval first being obtained from the
- No fences other than hedge fences shall be erected in front of the building line of any lot.
- No tent, trailer, basement, shack, barn, tourist cabin or temporary housing shall be permitted, nor shall any structure of a temporary character be
used as a residence.
- No outbuilding shall be built on any lot.
- No malt, vinous, spirituous or intoxicating liquors shall be manufactured or sold on the above described premises; and said premises shall not in
any way be used as a powder mill, slaughter house, poultry house, piggery or for the making of soap, bone-boiling, lampblack, glue, candle or
varnish or other like or similar products and said premises shall not be used or occupied in any offensive, noxious or dangerous manner, nature
or form whatsoever; and no nuisance at any time shall be permitted to exist in, on or about said lands and premises or any of the lands, lakes,
beaches, club house, courts, parks, roads, driveways or playgrounds in, on or about the same.
- Owners of lake front lots may erect and maintain wharves or piers on the lake subject to the consent of the grantors and their successors in the
title to the bed of the lake.
- No motor boat or boats with auxiliary motor attached shall be used, operated or maintained on the Lake.
- The grantor for itself, its successors, assignee and nominee reserves the right to grant easements, rights of way, servitudes and public roads to
any public agency or public utility corporations.
- The grantors herein expressly reserve the right to raise the water of Taunton Lake so that its normal surface height shall be up to the center of
the overflow pipe now laid under the Fairview Road to the East of the dam.
- The use of the Taunton Lake together with the roads, driveways, beaches, courts, parks, playgrounds, club houses and other club properties and
facilities shall be in accordance with the charter and the by-laws and all amendments and supplements thereto of the grantor, its successor,
assignee or nominee, subject to the approval of majority of the lot owners of the Taunton Lake Development or the majority of the members of
any community club organization representing a majority of said lot owners.
- The grantee herein expressly covenants and agrees as an additional and further consideration for the purchase of said lands and premises that
the grantee, his, her, its or their heirs, executors, administrators, successors or assigns shall pay on or before March 1st of each and every year,
in advance, unto the grantor or its successor, assignee or nominee such annual maintenance fee as may be provided by the by-laws as aforesaid
of the grantor company or its successor, assignee or nominee; such annual maintenance fees shall be in addition to domestic water charges,
contributions, or expenses and shall be considered in default if overdue for a period of 60 days....
- By the acceptance of this deed it shall become the deed of the grantee, and all covenants herein mentioned, all conditions and restrictions, shall
be binding upon the grantee and all persons claiming hereunder, which covenants, conditions and restrictions the grantee hereby agrees to keep